Therapeutic Creative Writing – Therapiece ethos sheet
- Equal time for all.
- Author always in charge – encouraged to outline contract at the start.
- Reflective listening in authors sessions – foster a culture of respect.
- Stick to the session structure, stick to the author’s contract, stick to contributions on authors’ topics, avoid advice giving.
- Non-judgmental contributions but can include positive listener/reader views.
- Self-responsibility in order to support others – ensure you are well enough in terms of attention.
- No intoxication at meetings (alcohol or recreational drugs).
- Confidentiality – what is discussed in the group stays in the group
Example non-judgmental interventions/contributions
- Is this part of a bigger project/piece?
- Do you want to focus on plot/character/description?
- Are you writing from experience? (debatable if this is non-judgemental)
- Do you want to explore character X?
- Do you want readers to like character Y?
- Author may use self-interventions eg please may I have attention switch
- Judicious use of co-co interventions eg Action planning, ID Check, Scanning etc
- …..many others
Feedback 1 min (2 mins with attention switch) feedback by the author
- Do I want an attention switch?
- Would I do it differently – eg choose a different contract?
- Did I get out of it what I wanted?
- Did the session follow the ethos of the group – Author in charge, listening, safety, no advice, creativity?
- Could my Listeners have done things differently?
Membership and Joining
- Open to all who write in English
- Members are expected to uphold the Golden rules (ie adhere and remind other members if necessary)
- Members are expected to engender “the safe feeling” of the group
- New members may attend two meetings before they formally join the group by affirming that they will stick to the rules and ethos of the group.
Version 2 6-Sep-2019